VITAMIN C SERUM
Why do we need to apply Vitamin C based cream?
Most plants and animals synthesize their own vitamin C, but not humans. Thus, Vitamin C needs to be consumed from outside by humans. Oral vitamin C consumed leads to only limited increase in skin concentration. Thus, Vitamin C needs to be applied on skin to increase its concentration their.
How does Vitamin C benefits skin?
Vitamin C helps skin in more than one way:
- On sun exposure i.e. when UV rays falls on skin, oxygen free radicles are generated in skin which leads to skin ageing. Vitamin C destroys these free radicles thus prevent ageing due to skin ageing.
- Enhances collagen production: Collagen are the building blocks of the skin responsible for it’s strength and tightness. Once they get fragile because of ageing and sun exposure, skin becomes loose and wrinkled. Regular application of vitamin C has been shown to boost collagen production.
- Helps reduce skin pigmentation and darkness.
- Because of it’s anti – inflammatory properties, it helps in acne management too.
How to choose a correct vitamin C cream?
Vitamin C is available in three forms:
1) L ascorbic acid:
3) Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate
L-ascorbic acid: Maximum vitamin C based creams contain 5 to 20 % of this form. Maximum concentration for skin absorption is 20 %. Concentration more than this doesn’t increase skin penetration. Penetration in skin is possible only at ph-3.5 which is an acidic PH, thus mild burning on Vitamin C application is normal. It gets oxidized on exposure to air and turns yellow, so discard it if it turns yellow.
WHEN AND HOW TO APPLY IT ?
Its best applied at night time. One can use vitamin C based cream at night . If one is using some other anti ageing creams at night especially the one containing retinoids. Which are supposed to be applied at night only, apply vitamin C cream alternate night. Else apply during day. First apply vitamin c cream , later a moisturiser or a sunscreen . Both can be applied immediately after vitamin C.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF VITAMIN C CREAMS ?
Few may experience mild stinging sensation on application. usually it goes off in a week .
Some may start getting few zits or eruptions. Try changing the brand. If it still continues , stop using vitamin C .
WHAT IS THE COST OF VITAMIN C CREAMS?
A good vitamin C serum would cost anywhere between 1000 INR to 2000 INR . It would last for a month.
WHAT ARE THE BEST BRANDS FOR VITAMIN C IN INDIA ?
There are lots of good brands . Just to name a few:
VC 15 serum by cipla .
Vit C serum by sesderma
Enhance 25 by Fixderma .
WHICH IS BETTER – VITAMIN C SERUM OR CREAM ?
Serums are meant for oily skin. Cream for normal to dry skin. Else no difference in effectivity.
HOW TO MAKE VITAMIN C AT HOME ?
I came across a lot of articles and you tube videos mentioning about making Vitamin c serums at home by crushing an oral vitamin C tablet at home and mixing it in cream . It doesn’t work because vitamin C is not in such a form that it can penetrate skin . Also maintaining its stability is a big issue. better purchase the one available in market.
SUBSCRIBE OUR CHANNEL FOR MORE INFORMATION:
YOUTUBE (in English): https://bit.ly/2C9NPd3
YOUTUBE (in Hindi): https://bit.ly/2DflwM1