- Chemical damage:
- A) Regular use of nail polish, nail polish remover, acrylic and gel nails would gradually make nail brittle.
- B) Regular use of harsh soap and detergents
- Hormonal imbalance Nutritional deficiency: Lack of essential nutrients like biotin, iron calcium etc.
- Thyroid abnormalities (both hyper and hypothyroid) would lead to brittle nails.
- Others: Excessive wetting of hands
HOW CAN ONE TREAT BRITTLE NAILS?
- Reduce the frequency of acrylic and gel nail manicures: Lesser the chemical exposure the better it is.
- Use mild soaps: Use SLS free soaps for hand wash and bathing. Dove or Cetaphil cleansing lotion are good options. Ditch soaps like Dettol, lux , lifeboy etc. for they have a harmful chemical SLS.
- Get thyroid levels checked: In case found disrupted, consult a physician to rectify the same.